There are lots of preventative steps you can take to ensure your pet’s mouth stays healthy. Here are some of our recommendations.
- A good quality prescription dry biscuit will act like a toothbrush to remove plaque, prevent tartar build up and reduce gingivitis. We recommend Hills T/d. We can’t stress enough the difference this will make to your pet’s dental health. Don’t believe us? Try it! They have a full money back guarantee.
- Teeth brushing! This can be performed daily using a finger tooth brush or soft human toothbrush and pet toothpaste. Please ask our staff for a demonstration if you’re unsure.
- Dental treats such as greenies are fantastic at removing tartar and plaque and your pet will love them!
- Bones. These help remove superficial plaque from teeth but will not impact deeper dental disease. They also carry the risk of stomach upsets or obstructions so for this reason we suggest using caution and discussing with your vet whether bones are appropriate for your pet. Remember raw bones only!
- Water additives such as aquadent or healthy mouth can be added to your pet’s water to alleviate gingivitis. This is a simple, non-invasive step towards a healthier mouth and more importantly no bad breath!